Today an event was held with news from Playdate, the peculiar hand-cranked laptop that Panic, a publisher of games like Firewatch Y Untitled Goose Game. In the broadcast we were able to learn more information about this expected device, such as its first batch of games or be available to book from July at a price of US $ 179, which in Spain will be around 146 euros if the direct currency exchange is made.
“The earlier you book, the earlier you get one”, they have explained today in the Playdate Update, where it has also been specified that shipments are scheduled to start at the end of something. Of course, from Panic they assure that they will not close the doors to anyone who wants to get one of these consoles and they hope that the reservation, purchase and distribution process will be a “pleasant experience”, although as it is the first time that the publisher gets involved in this eggplant they recognize that “surely something will go wrong” and they are grateful in advance for the patience of the clientele.
Along with these first details of the distribution, during the Playdate Update they have been announced new accessories for the console: Playdate Cover, a sleeve that can be ordered with the console pre-order for $ 199 per pack or separately at a price of $ 29, and Playdate Stereo Dock, a charging station for the laptop that also works as a Bluetooth speaker and pen; this device is still priceless.
Playdate’s first season of games
As explained in its official announcement, back in May 2019, Playdate will receive games developed by independent studios that will reach the console through updates and seasonally. Today 21 of the 24 titles that will be included in the first season of Playdate have been revealed, are the following:
- Crankin’s Time Travel Adventure : developed by uvula (Keita Takahashi, Ryan Mohler), Matthew Grimm, and Shaun Inman
- Battleship Godios: developed by TPM. CO SOFT WORKS.
- Boogie Loops: developed by May-Li Khoe and Andy Matuschak.
- Casual Birder: developed by Diego Garcia (he / him). Music and sound by Max Coburn (he / him).
- DemonQuest 85: desarrollado por Alex Ashby (he/him), Lawrence Bishop (he/him), Duncan Fyfe (he/him), Belinda Leung (she/her), and Jared Emerson-Johnson (he/him).
- Echoic Memory: desarrollado por Samantha Kalman (she/her), Everest Pipkin (they/them), Carol Mertz (she/her), and Rachelle Viola (she/her).
- Executive Golf DX: developed by davemakes (they / them).
- Flipper Lifter: developed by Serenity Forge.
- Forrest Byrnes: Up in Smoke: desarrollado por Nels Anderson (he/him) and Christina “castpixel” Neofotistou (she/her).
- Hyper Meteor: developed by Vertex Pop (Mobeen Fikree [he/him], Robby Duguay [he/him], and h heron[they/them]).
- Lost Your Marbles: desarrollado por Sweet Baby Inc. & Friends.
- Omaze: developed by Gregory Kogos.
- Pick Pack Pup: developed by Nic Magnier (he / him), Arthur Hamer (he / him). Music by Logan Gabriel (he / him).
- Questy Chess: developed by Dadako.
- Ratcheteer: developed by Shaun Inman, Matthew Grimm, and Charlie Davis.
- Sasquatchers: developed by Chuck Jordan. Music and Sound by Jared Emerson-Johnson.
- Chat: developed by Zach Gage (he / him). Art design by Neven Mrgan (he / him).
- Spellcorked!: desarrollado por Jada Gibbs, Nick Splendorr, Ryan Splendorr, and Tony Ghostbrite. Msica por A Shell in the Pit (Em Halberstadt).
- Zipper: developed by Bennett Foddy (he / him).
- Saturday Edition: developed by Chris Makris. Music by A Shell in the Pit (Gord McGladdery, Alfonso Salinas).
- Whitewater Wipeout: developed by Chuhai Labs (Giles Goddard [he/him], Mark Lentz [he/him], Peter Traylor [he/him], Hero Liao [he/him], Remy Thor [he/him], Charlie March [he/him], Kensaku Nakata [he/him], Zach Aikman [he/him], Mihoko Terao [she/her], and Kinsey Burke [she/her]).
In addition, Panic herself is working on new games that will come to her together with others as a surprise. Other indie authors, such as Lucas Pope (author of Papers, Please Y Return of the Obra Dinn) are also developing their projects for Playdate. In fact it has been announced Pulp, a creation tool online of videogames for this console that any developer will be able to design their own titles and even in the future sell them to other users, although this second part is something that Panic still has to detail later.
Below you can see one Playdate image gallery.